Very occasionally, severe weather can create conditions which affect the ability to keep the academy open. A decision to close may need to be made in the following circumstances:
- Severe weather occurs when the academy is already open and the severe weather incident occurs or is forecast for the middle of the day;
- The night before a severe weather incident has been forecast;
- Early morning after or during a severe weather incident.
The main considerations in making decisions to close are:
- Health and safety of students, staff and visitors travelling to and from and around the site;
- Travel delays at the start of the day causing supervision issues in the academy;
- Effects of the extreme conditions on the academy site; and
- Travel considerations later in the day for a safe journey home.
Whenever there is an academy closure, parents / carers will be contacted in the following ways:
- via this website (on the front page);
- via text (if you have a mobile phone registered on the academy database);
- local radio stations.